DESCRIPTION: The College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences at Georgia Southern University now offers a fully online Bachelor of General Studies degree. This multidisciplinary, flexible degree offers a well-rounded education that prepares its graduates for a variety of careers and graduate programs.
This unique online program provides working adults the opportunity to begin or complete their bachelor’s degree completely online. A college education is a competitive advantage in the workplace, particularly in today’s economy. When you choose Georgia Southern, you gain access to an education that has been recognized as one of the best in the country. Georgia Southern is continually recognized as one of America’s Best Colleges and was recently named one of the Top 20 Most Popular Universities in the country by U.S. News and World Report.
Georgia Southern’s online Bachelor of General Studies degree also provides numerous choices to customize the degree. In addition to the wide-range of core courses, students will have the opportunity to select three areas of study that allow you to customize your degree based on their interests or career field.
Finally, the program is flexible. Traditional classes without a traditional schedule allow you to team up with classmates in different time zones, and interact with your peers and professors 24/7 through e-mail and online discussion boards. All that is needed is a computer and Internet access to enroll in this virtual classroom, where you’re always the head of the class.
- Freshmen are required to score a minimum of 1000* on the SAT (Math plus Critical Reading only) or 21 ACT (composite). The writing portion of the SAT is required. State minimums for each portion of the SAT/ACT: 430 Critical Reading, 400 Math; 17 English, 17 Math. Students must have a high school academic GPA of 2.0+ calculated based on the following credits: 4 English Credits, 4 Math Credits, 3 Science Credits (at least 2 lab science), 3 Social Science Credits, and 2 Foreign Language Credits (same language).
- Transfer students are required to have 30 transferable semester hours or 45 transferable quarter hours with a Cumulative College GPA of 2.0+ (all work attempted). Students must be eligible to return to their current school. Students with less than 30 hours must meet freshmen requirements.
- Non-traditional students must have been out of high school at least five years or their high school class must have graduated at least five years ago. Students must hold a high school diploma from an accredited or approved high school as specified in the Board of Regents policy section 402.0101 or have satisfactorily completed the GED. Students must have less than 30 transferable credit hours and have not attended college within the last 5 years (or in good standing at the last college attended if admitted as a non-traditional student).
- A maximum of 90 hours of coursework may be transferable into the program. At least 30 semester hours of the degree requirements must be earned through Georgia Southern University.
- At least 26 hours of credit in the Areas of Study must be taken at Georgia Southern University.
For upcoming application deadlines, please visit the Office of Admissions
Students enrolled in the program will complete their degree. Georgia Southern online students complete all work, including team functions, exams, discussion posts, and cases or simulations online. Students also have access to academic resources, such as an online library. The courses combine text materials and assignments, as well as discussions and written project work.
TOTAL COST (ACADEMIC YEAR 2012-13): $189 per credit hour
FEES: Institutional and Technology fees (Not applicable to active duty military)
Georgia Southern University Office of Admissions
Web Site: http://admissions.georgiasouthern.edu