DESCRIPTION:The Ed.S. in Middle Grades Education is designed to meet the current demands of teachers in grades 4-8 as they pursue graduate preparation beyond the master's degree. In the program, you will complete content specific requirements in your concentration area: Middle Grades Language Arts, Middle Grades Mathematics, Middle Grades Reading, Middle Grades Science, or Middle Grades Social Studies.
The program requires 33 semester hours and provides opportunities for you to: Collaborate with others across disciplines; Explore teacher leadership opportunities and develop leadership skills; Apply and extend content knowledge and pedagogical skills through the examination of curriculum and instruction issues and research; Continue development of technology skills and develop skills in using technology to impact and assess student learning; and Conduct action research related to your concentration area in middle grades education.
More information about this degree
- Complete requirements for a Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Possess or be eligible for a Professional Level Five Certificate in Middle Grades Education, with certification in one of the following concentration areas: Middle Grades Language Arts, Middle Grades Mathematics, Middle Grades Reading, Middle Grades Science, and Middle Grades Social Studies. Candidates who have completed all eligibility requirements for the Professional Level Five Certificate have until the end of the first semester to obtain the certificate.
- Present a 3.25 or higher GPA on all graduate work attempted.
- Present current official report from the verbal, quantitative and analytical writing sections of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) showing competitive scores. Applicants with a Georgia Southern University graduate degree showing a GPA of 3.5 or higher within the previous seven (7) years may exempt the GRE test requirement.
- Submit a personal statement of purpose, not to exceed 200 words, that identifies the applicant's reasons for pursuing graduate study and how
admission into the program relates to the applicant's professional aspirations.
- Submit a completed Disclosure and Affirmation Form that addresses misconduct disclosure, criminal background check, the Code of Ethics
for Educators, and tort liability insurance.
Applicants may be approved for provisional admission based on the quality of the admission material presented. Provisional students must earn
grades of B or higher in their first nine (9) hours of course work after admission and meet any other stipulations outlined by the department to be
converted to regular status.
ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS: There are no on-campus attendance requirements for this program.
SPECIAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS:
- Successful completion of the Ed.S. Comprehensive Exit Assessment; involves constituting a three faculty advisory committee to guide field
study, and requires the completion and oral presentation of a major field-based action research paper
- Must successfully complete assessments identified at each program transition point
SPECIAL PROGRAM PREREQUISITES: EDUF 7130 Learning Theories and Applications and EDUR 7130 Educational Research
TUITION AND FEES: Click HERE for the most recent "Online Programs" tuition information.
SPECIAL ENROLLMENT ISSUES: N/A
QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS DEGREE:
Contact: Dr. Maggie LaMontagne